Thursday, July 28, 2005

Books Everywhere

So, this reading thing has gotten ridiculous. I finished More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel. It was really good. I've been meaning to read her books Prozac Nation and Bitch for quite a while now. This one was about her addiction to Ritalin and cocaine. It was very good. Not necessarily a fun book, but well written, interesting, and actually gave me a little insight into what it's like to have an addiction. I figure if I am ever going to be a therapist some day, it's not a bad idea to at least read about people with problems. Even if my classes don't give me an opportunity to actually interact with them in person. Here's a quote from it that I really liked:

"You're not understanding what I'm saying!" Is she yelling? Dr. Singer never yells. "This is why you do drugs. This is why you feel terrible. You think it's because you feel everything too much. But it's not. It's that you don't feel things enough. All those times that you panic and get hysterical waiting for some guy, any guy, to call you, it's not because your feelings are exaggerated. It's because you don't feel at all."
"That's crazy." I think I may be about to cry, but I don't. "My feeling are excessive and inappropriate and, too much for anyone to handle. So I do drugs and it's manageable. "
"I don't think that's true. I think if you weren't afraid to feel things , it would be ok. If you were not afraid to hurt when you hurt, it wouldn't be so bad. But then you push it away, and you end up going crazy and feeling crazy about nothing - about waiting twenty minutes for a call - because you don't allow yourself to just feel what is really there. "

I finished it this morning. Last night, while in Meijer, Anthony picked up Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. After I finished More, Now, Again I got on the computer, checked my email and then decided I absolutely had to start Harry Potter. Now, I KNEW I wasn't going to be able to stop. Harry Potter may not be a stimulant, but damn it, those books are addictive. You'd think I would have learned something from the first book, but apparently not. At noon I started reading, stopped only to grab something for lunch and take a quick shower. At a little bit before 5, I finished it. I read 650 some pages in under 5 hours. It's official, I need help.

On the plus side, it was a great book, I loved it. And now I can't wait for the people I know to finish it so I can start talking to them about it. In the meantime I'll attempt to keep my mouth shut. Also,l I am not feeling terribly patient about waiting for the last book to come out. Over a year seems like an awful long time when I'm ready for it NOW.

No comments: