Thursday, July 28, 2005

Bad Babies

My cousin Marthena is pregnant with twins. She isn't due until the end of September. She has been having contractions on and off for several months now. Apparently they've decided they are ready to arrive. Bad babies...no cookie for you! She has been on complete bedrest for that whole time in an attempt to keep them from arriving early. This has been driving her mildly insane of course, since she used to working a ridiculous amount of hours and is an avid runner. Not the ideal candidate for this. But she's been reading, and being crafty and my mom went to visit her for a week. So she's been tolerating it.

Apparently tonight she is going into labor for real. She's only 31 weeks along. Which means they are considered in the size/age range of "routinely survivable". One of them is 3 lbs. 11 oz. and the other is just over 4 lbs. And they're giving them steroids to help their lungs develop. They'd like the labor to be delayed but at this point it seems like it might have to just happen now.

It's really scary though. I may not be a fan of babies for myself, but I certainly would like all of my second cousins to arrive safely in the world. Send good thoughts out to northern Ohio that they and my cousin do well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad was a twin, and my mum was one of triplets. The only thing holding them in my grandma was her stomach lining, which was later replaced with metal gauze stuff (this was a 50s pregnancy). Anyhow, the other two died shortly after birth. My mum was SO small they had to dress her in baby doll clothes. Here's hoping that with technology's advances that your cousins will be fine!!