Sunday, August 12, 2007

Waiting for October

Despite the fact that it's supposed to be 90 degrees and humid today, or maybe because of it, I've been dreaming of fall. I'm a jeans and sweater kind of girl, forget the shorts and tank tops. I'd rather be taking a walk through the woods than sunbathing. I prefer hot spiced cider to ice cold lemonade. If something is pumpkin spice flavored, I'll buy it, no matter what it is. Granola bars, body butter, cat litter...I don't care. Sadly, they have yet to invent pumpkin spice scented litter, but it has to be more appetizing than the floral scent they usually use.

I've been collecting fall recipes. Cider Braised Pork Chops, Roasted Squash with Sage, Pumpkin Spice Bread. I want tweed skirts and cable knit sweaters. I bought a rusty orange suede and brown leather purse in June. I want to knit chunky warm scarves. Sip orange spice tea and curl up under a heavy blanket while I read. I want pumpkins on my front steps and gusting winds. Crisp, dry cold air and the scent of leaves. I want to enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon and swirl it through deep orange batter. I want to lean up against the warm stove and relax. I want a giant steaming bowl of squash soup with crusty rustic bread to dip into it. I want cider and doughnuts. I want to pick crisp apples off of the trees and make pots of chunky applesauce.

I want to wear my fall perfumes. I want Jack, "The scent of warm, glowing jack o'lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.". I want to smother myself in The Hesperides, "Their perfume is that of sturdy oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple.". I want to light candles and listen to the very mellow and dark band Morphine while it drizzles rain outside.


Take your blue skies and fluffy clouds, and bring me heavy grey skies and bright colored leaves.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

I miss fall sooooooo much. We don't have that here in Vegas. September is v. disappointing since it's still over 100 here. October gets a bit better, but there's no greenery to turn colors. I miss how cozy things get in the fall. That doesn't happen here, and it's the season that leaves me missing home the most.

Megan said...

Oh wow, I bet. I came to the conclusion a few years ago that there's no way I could live in a part of the country that didn't have four seasons.

pollyhyper said...

I'm feeling just the same way, but our autumn won't come till mid to late November. I'm ready now!

If you want, I'll send you some pumpkin fudge from a local shop here. Omigod, soooo good!

Megan said...

(drools) um, yes please.

And you're welcome to come visit here in early October. We should already have nice leaves and cool days and there are cider mills and I will be cooking all sorts of fall recipes...